HealthyStuff.org tested 106 Halloween related products, including costumes, accessories, decorations and party favors. Our testing found heavy metals and other additives are commonly found in Halloween costumes and accessories. These chemicals include lead, flame retardants, tin compounds and phthalates -- harmful chemicals that are linked to asthma, reproductive problems, developmental and learning disabilities, hormone problems and cancer.
For this study, HealthyStuff.org tested 101 children’s school supplies, including a variety of backpacks, binders, lunch boxes, pencil pouches and rulers. These products were purchased from 8 national retailers: CVS, Dollar Tree Stores, Inc., Kroger, Meijer, Target, Walgreens and Walmart.
April 16, 2014 — Healthystuff.org purchased pet products, children’s products, and other home goods from Walgreens stores and tested the products for hazardous chemicals, including arsenic, lead, bromine, chlorine, mercury and cadmium. The study is part of ongoing research at HealthyStuff on harmful chemicals in consumer products that are sold by each of the top ten U.S. retailers. Previous results can be viewed by retailer at the HealthyStuff.org Retailer Center.
December 20, 2013 — HealthyStuff.org wraps up 2013 with a new study that continues to show how toxic chemicals are found in a range of consumer products. This winter screening joins a series of studies HealthyStuff.org has released in the past months showing how toxic chemicals continue to lurk in everyday consumer products.
HealthyStuff.org research finds thousands of pounds of hazardous chemicals in plastic beaded products, including beaded holiday garlands and Mardi Gras beads. Below find the Product Test Samples from 2013.
Hoses Can Leach Phthalates and BPA into Water, Study Finds
Retailers Called on to Stop Selling Products
May 7, 2013 — High levels of hazardous chemicals, many of which have been banned in children’s products, were found in garden hoses for the second year in row. Phthalates and the toxic chemical BPA were all found in the water of a new hose after sitting outside in the sun for just a few days, according to researchers at the Ann Arbor-based Ecology Center, which has just completed a study of toxic chemicals in garden hoses.